Welcome to our admitted PhD & MS students!
If you're finishing your undergrad degree, request that your current transcript be sent to email@example.com now and then request another one with your earned degree on it in the Fall.
- Graduate Studies site for Newly Admitted Students
- Graduate Studies is the office that oversees policy & administration for all UCD graduate programs.
Their site has a wealth of info you'll access throughout your time as a grad student (for forms and deadlines, etc).
As an admitted student, you'll find important information about how to submit your official transcripts (submit soon to avoid a hold for Fall enrollment!), and more.
- 2021-22 Handbook - coming soon
- Coming soon...
- New Student Orientations
- TBD - Graduate Studies Orientation - Register ahead (when registration is available)!
Graduate Studies is the office that oversees the administration of all graduate departments at UCD. They will tell you about grad student financial support, professional development resources, advising & wellness.
TBD - Biostatistics Grad Group Orientation
This is our department orientation where you will learn more about your PhD or MS program with the faculty advisors as well as a student panel where you can ask all of your burning questions.
TBD - TA Orientation
Hosted by UCD's Center for Educational Effectiveness, this orientation is mandatory before you can become a Teaching Assistant (only given once per year). "TA Orientation is designed to help graduate students succeed in their role as TAs at UC Davis by introducing them to the principles and practices of effective teaching."
TBD - International Student Orientation
- Welcome Packet
The welcome packet for new PhD & MS students has important information about set-up, registration, advising and other department info.
Welcome Packet web page - coming soon.
Welcome packet PDF - coming soon.
Most leases in Davis will be for the full academic year, so be sure to do your research before signing a lease.
Student Housing Office (Official UC Davis information).
Community Housing Listing, operated by Associated Students of UCD. This site is especially helpful if you are interested in renting a room in a larger house.
Not affiliated with UC Davis:
Davis Wiki Includes great resources about rental housing in Davis and Apartments. Davis Wiki apartments page here.
Craigslist.org Some apartments, and room leases will be listed here.
Uloop.com Like craigslist, has individual postings.
Yelp.com Includes reviews of apartments near Davis.
Helpful Facebook pages:
- UC Davis Student Housing
- UCDAVIS Housing, Rooms, Apartments, Sublets
- UC Davis Housing - Grad/Professional Students - private
- UC Davis Off-Campus Housing
- UC Davis Last Minute Housing Search
Note: Always be cautious of scams or misleading information when searching for housing online.
- Health Insurance (SHIP) Waiver information
- All registered UC Davis Students are automatically enrolled in the UC Student Health Insurance Plan (UC SHIP) in order to meet the UC Regents mandate that all UC students have health insurance coverage as a non-academic condition of enrollment.
However, if you are already covered by a health insurance plan, and do not wish to be enrolled in UC SHIP, you can waive enrollment by submitting a waiver application prior to the start of each new academic year. Waiver applications need to be submitted each academic year so that we have the most up to date information regarding your insurance coverage.
Submit the waiver online
The deadline to submit the waiver for 2020-21 online is September 1 (to be effective in Fall quarter - the 2021-22 deadline will be similar).
- Domestic Students: Establishing California Residency
- READ Info in these two links:
You must take steps to establish California residence at least one full year before the start of the quarter in which you wish to be classified as a resident and the sooner the better.
In other words, take care of all of the things bulleted below by the end of your first Fall quarter!!
For tuition purposes, physical presence and intent must be demonstrated for more than one year. Intent includes, but is not limited to:
- having a California driver’s license or ID card (even if you don't own a vehicle)
- registering your vehicle with CA DMV (vehicles must be registered in California within 20 days of arrival)
- registering to vote and voting
- using a California permanent address on all records
- paying state income tax as a resident
Start your petition during the quarter preceding the one for which you seek reclassification (so, Spring before your 2nd year).
Return the completed petition at least two weeks before the start of the quarter (Fall of your second year).
Feel free to email the Residence Deputy at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or confirmations.
TIP: Go to the DMV and get a CA ID asap (even if you don't drive here!) and change everything you can think of to your CA address.
- International Student Resources
- Services for International Students & Scholars (SISS) is your best resource for all visa and immigration documents, issues and questions as well as a welcoming place with events and community connection.
International Student Pre-Arrival Checklist
- COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
- UC Davis is considering many factors while discussing whether to mandate vaccinations in the 2021-22 academic year. The advice from graduate studies is to get vaccinated as soon as you have the opportunity. If you don’t have the opportunity, you may be able to receive it when you arrive in Davis/the US, but you may want to consider arriving 3-5 weeks before being on campus to allow time to get the two shots required for immunity to reach its peak. Please continue to check the Campus Ready site for updates.
- Biostatistics Student Group and ways to connect
- The Biostatistics student group, the Gosset Group, has regular meetings and social events.
Slack channel: email Gosset Group for invite.
You can also join the Facebook group for all incoming UCD graduate students.
- When does school start?
While the academic year officially starts on Monday, September 20th, Fall classes start on Wednesday, Sept 22nd. The last day of the 2021-22 academic year is June 9th, 2022. Master academic calendar.
When does registration start?
Registration starts May 10th. Send your official transcripts today! You will be able to register once you send your official transcripts to the Graduate Studies office. Until they are processed, you'll have a hold on your registration. Transcript instructions.
Who do I contact to start my I-20?
The UC Davis SISS (Services for International Students & Scholars) can help with all I-20 & visa-related issues. Contact your SISS advisor.
Which courses should I register for?
There are typical timelines on the MS page and the PhD page. You will be assigned a faculty advisor during the summer. If you have course questions now, contact:
PhD Students: Sarah Driver (email@example.com)
MS Students: Andi Carr (firstname.lastname@example.org)